Business continuity planning can seem overwhelming when you first think about all you need to cover. Use this overview checklist to assist your organization in preparing for its planning process.
Section one: Project initiation and management
- Define the need, purpose, and goals of the business continuity initiative.
- Obtain buy-in and commitment for meeting goals from senior leaders.
- Establish a governance structure and steering committee.
- Develop a project implementation plan.
- Complete project kick-off with key stakeholders.
Section two: Risk evaluation and control
- Identify, evaluate, and select appropriate risk analysis methodologies, tools, and expertise.
- Identify potential risks to the organization / loss potentials.
- Identify and evaluate controls and safeguards to prevent and/or mitigate the effect of the loss potential.
- Document and present findings to key members of executive management for risk acceptance and approval.
Section three: Business impact analysis
- Achieve appropriate understanding of the organization and identify key process areas.
- Develop business impact analysis tools and processes.
- Finalize, review, and approve business impact analysis findings.
Section four: Business continuity strategies and plans
- Assign executive sponsor with oversight and budget authority for plan development and implementation.
- Develop and document emergency response plans in coordination with the overall business continuity plan of the company.
- Finalize all key components and data into the overall business continuity plan.
Section five: Public relations, crisis coordination, and public authorities
- Develop communication plans for both internal and external stakeholders and identify key resources required for crisis communications.
- Develop crisis communication plans for the media.
- Identify local, regional, and national government authorities who may be required or involved during the activation of a business continuity plan.
Section six: Awareness and training programs
- Establish company-wide business continuity plan awareness and training program objectives, requirements, and components.
- Develop and deliver training and awareness programs.
Section seven: Maintaining and exercising business continuity plans
- Establish and maintain a quality review program.
- Complete mock corporate or location-specific crisis situations to test the plan.
- Document lessons learned from the tests and implement changes where appropriate.
For more information on this topic, or to learn how Baker Tilly specialists can help, contact our team.