MINNEAPOLIS (April 16, 2018) – Governor Mark Dayton proclaimed April 15-21, 2018 as “Affordable Housing Week” in the state of Minnesota. With one in four Minnesota households spending more than the recommended 30 percent of their income on housing, this proclamation draws attention to the critical need for more affordable housing units and options in the state.
This designation was initiated by the hosts of the Affordable Housing Summit, held annually for the past five years in Minneapolis. Jon Peterson, shareholder at Winthrop & Weinstine, noted, “Affordable Housing Week will encourage conversation and collaboration among citizens, developers, not-for-profit organizations and local governments regarding housing needs, obstacles and solutions. We continue to be grateful for Governor Dayton’s support of affordable housing initiatives.”
Key highlights of the proclamation:
- Adequate and stable housing is critical for local jobs, children’s education and the overall health of individuals
- A quarter of Minnesota households are rent-burdened and at risk of being unable to afford basic necessities
- Fewer than 40 units of affordable housing exist per 100 low-income renter households in Minnesota
- Cities, developers, property owners and not-for-profit organizations face a challenging environment for creating and maintaining affordable housing due to legislative changes and decreased funding
- There is a renewed commitment in the state to protect and provide affordable housing options for residents
“We are excited that the governor recognizes the need for affordable housing in both the metro area and greater Minnesota and is joining our efforts to increase support and collaboration with those involved,” Wayne Schiferl, partner and co-leader of Baker Tilly’s national housing practice, said.
About Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP (bakertilly.com)
Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP (Baker Tilly) is a leading advisory, tax and assurance firm whose specialized professionals guide clients through an ever-changing business world, helping them win now and anticipate tomorrow. Headquartered in Chicago, Baker Tilly, and its affiliated entities, have operations in North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Baker Tilly is an independent member of Baker Tilly International, a worldwide network of independent accounting and business advisory firms in 147 territories, with 33,600 professionals. The combined worldwide revenue of independent member firms is $3.4 billion. Visit bakertilly.com or join the conversation on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.