To adapt to change, utilities must prioritize technology and institute a robust information technology (IT) governance structure. IT governance is the process of deciding how IT investments are identified and made, who is held accountable for the investment, and how the results of decision are measured and monitored.
Baker Tilly’s power and utilities team authored the 2019 American Public Power Association (APPA) publication that provides electric utilities an overview of IT governance and guidance on developing a strategy including:
- IT governance definition
- Implementation with strong controls and structure
- Dimensions, drivers and challenges of IT governance
- IT governance frameworks
- Establishing governance processes
- Monitoring and communication
- Managing and sustaining IT governance
This guide is the second edition of the 2015 APPA publication, also authored by Baker Tilly.
For more information on this topic, or to learn how Baker Tilly energy and utility specialists can help, contact our team.