One of the nation’s largest health systems with over 60,000 employees in the New York metropolitan area.
The business challenge
Rapid expansion and an aggressive acquisition strategy resulted in disparate talent management systems and practices across the organization. As a result, the organization decided to embark on an HR transformation initiative to realign the talent function to help drive improved quality, financial, patient experience, and workforce commitment metrics.
As a step towards this realignment, the organization implemented Oracle HCM Cloud Talent Management in 2013. With the implementation of the new system, they hoped to standardize performance management processes and technology, increase employee engagement and improve reporting capabilities. However, after the initial implementation, they had extremely low adoption across the organization. Various populations within the health system continued to follow their legacy performance management processes.
The Baker Tilly approach
What this organization experienced is not uncommon. The implementation of new technology does not necessarily ensure the desired goals and results. Often times, adoption is less than optimal because change is hard – even more so when implementing a change across an extremely large organization. The first step to tackle the adoption challenge is to anticipate it and plan accordingly.
The Baker Tilly team conducted an analysis of the health system’s talent management function – identifying specific opportunities to enhance talent management processes, Oracle HCM Cloud system capabilities, and a strategy to improve end-user adoption with a targeted change management approach. The team worked with the health system to build a roadmap for a phased approach towards system and process optimization. This included:
- Identification of key project success metrics, focusing on improvements in employee engagement, retention of high potential employees, and overall talent management process integration.
- Assessment of engagement levels in performance management processes within the organization to develop a targeted change management approach based on the levels of engagement.
- Train-the-trainer sessions to coach resources within the Talent function to train HR on new and existing processes and system functionality, preparing HR to promote and provide guidance on performance management expectations.
- Collaboration with the client’s internal communications and talent teams to design and execute a detailed communications plan that aligned with the change management strategy.
- Rollout of talent assessment, succession planning and development planning processes and functionality, along with new processes for conducting talent calibration sessions and tracking of data.
- Definition of a governance process to manage success metrics on an ongoing basis and track progress on improvements in engagement, employee retention and process integration.
- Integrated talent management processes: The organization transitioned to a more holistic talent management approach with each enhancement phase. With the implementation of goal setting, talent assessments, succession and development planning, leadership now has a more complete view of the organization’s talent including; high performing talent, high potential talent and high risk employees.
- Improved reporting and analytic capabilities: Enhanced reporting capabilities provide leadership with quality talent data to assess adoption across the organization in order to drive targeted change management. System capabilities provide key metrics to facilitate leadership’s strategic talent decisions.
- Increase in employee engagement: With a simplified, streamlined approach to the performance process, employees are more engaged in the performance cycle. Annual review and goal setting completion rates have been significantly improved. Now that the process is less transactional and more focused on overall career development, manager and employee performance conversations have improved as well.
- Governance process for ongoing metrics tracking: A standard process for tracking key talent metrics on an on-going basis was built, allowing continuous monitoring of progress.