- In early July what had been championed as the municipal utility privacy bill became law. The bill clarifies that certain utility customer information is not considered a record under Wisconsin’s open records laws and thus should not be released without customer permission unless one of the specific exemptions is met.
- Recent evaluations of the state of America’s infrastructure indicate that an exceptional amount of financing is required to repair and replace our aging infrastructure.
- A government is accountable for the services provided to taxpayers and for the way that it uses its resources to provide those services. One way to enhance accountability is to form an audit committee.
- On July 2, 2013, the United States Department of Treasury announced that there would be a delay of the information reporting requirements and Large Employer Shared Responsibility provisions of the ACA until 2015. This one year delay was confirmed in Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Notice 2013-45 issued on July 9, 2013.
- Over the past decade, we have seen instances where governmental subdivisions (including independent school districts) have designed "severance pay" programs that have resulted in less than favorable tax treatment to its employees.