Pat Fitzgerald is a member of Baker Tilly’s government contractor advisory services group. He joined the firm in 2015, bringing with him over 35 years of experience in government auditing and acquisition, including expertise in enhancing the cost effectiveness of business operations, resolving compliance challenges, improving business system effectiveness, conducting internal investigations, preparing for negotiations, and improving relationships between contractors, auditors and contracting officers.
Pat is the former director of the Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) for the Department of Defense (DoD). There, he oversaw the agency’s $600 million budget and the 5,000 professionals providing contract audit and advisory services. His background also includes advising soldiers on effective and efficient mission completion practices, making recommendations to army leaders for resolving varied issues and directing the internal audit function as the U.S. Army’s auditor general reporting directly to the secretary of the Army.
Pat possesses extensive knowledge of government contracting processes, including cost accounting standards. His experience includes serving on the five-person OMB Cost Accounting Standards Board representing the DoD.
An exceptional communicator, having testified before members of congress on several occasions, Pat often advises clients on how to employ effective communication strategies to help resolve issues.
- Provides cost-effective solutions to clients, drawing from comprehensive and broad knowledge of federal government operations with respect to acquisition, auditing, government contracting, strategic planning and financial management
- Offers specialized expertise in all types of government audits and evaluations with particular experience in conducting financial, contract and performance audits in the federal government
- Advises on the adequacy of business systems and makes recommendations for implementing cost-effective controls to strengthen the system’s control environment
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- National Contract Management Association (Board of Advisors)
- National Defense Industrial Association
- Association of Government Accountants
- Information System Audit and Control Association
- Speaks frequently on government contract-related matters and has presented before numerous industry groups and organizations
- Interviewed by and published in a variety of media outlets
- Co-authored “DCAA Working to Improve Audit Quality and Management” in Federal Times newspaper article on strategy to transform the Defense Contract Audit Agency with former Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller and Chief Financial Officer) the Honorable Robert F. Hale (Aug. 8, 2010).
Master of Science in policy and management
University of Baltimore
Bachelor of Science in business administration and accounting