Taxpayers doing business in multiple jurisdictions deal with complex and confusing state and local tax laws. Aggressive tax enforcement, ever-changing administrative policies and new tax legislation pose challenges to effective state and local tax management. Baker Tilly's state and local tax professionals assist clients with strategies that add value and minimize risk.
We analyze our clients’ unique situations and consult on plans for acquisition, disposition, growth or restructuring, recouping overpayments, managing audits, minimizing penalties, resolving disputes, and implementing a reliable and cost-efficient reporting system. Our specialists focus on strategic ideas and planning techniques that have a positive impact on businesses across the state and local tax spectrum. Income and franchise taxes are a big piece of the overall state and local tax puzzle.
- Nexus – Our team provides our clients with a detailed review of employee and company activities to determine if a filing requirement exists as well as help to mitigate historical exposure.
- Apportionment/sales sourcing – We offer assistance with interpreting and applying complex state rules for sourcing revenue, and we appropriately determine the correct methodology used by a particular state to capture specific state activity.
- Compliance – Experienced professionals prepare and review state income tax estimates, extensions, annual returns and amended returns, including a review of current and historical filing positions.
- Controversy assistance – Our practice includes former IRS attorneys with expertise in audit defense and controversy management. We work directly with your team to gather information, satisfy inquiries and conclude audits as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Transaction assistance – We provide our clients with tax planning strategies that will reduce transaction costs. We also analyze a taxpayer’s current state and local tax footprint during a merger, sale or other type of transaction.
- Tax planning – Team members analyze a taxpayer's current structure to determine if it is optimal for the current tax environment and provide recommendations for savings. We also examine preferred locations, present tax implications by jurisdiction and work with management to select a location to invest.
- Credits and incentives – Specialists in our practice identify applicable tax credits and incentives available to multistate taxpayers to reduce current and future liabilities.