- FASB issued an Accounting Standards Update (ASU) and the FASB staff has issued several Staff Q&As that address various financial accounting and reporting impacts from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).
- The SEC’s Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE) is making cybersecurity one of its regulatory priorities for the next year. SEC officials plan to assess how broker-dealers, fund managers, investment advisers and other market participants are managing their cybersecurity risks and the steps they are taking to prevent the loss of data.
- Donna Massanova, partner and employee benefit plan audit services practice leader, provides tips on networking and mentoring for future CPA partners as part of the PICPA's CPA Conversations podcast.
- Federal regulators plan to provide a common set of recommendations to Congress about the legal changes they need to properly supervise the digital currency market. Digital currencies have become a regulatory concern because, in spite of the market’s rapid growth, it is poorly understood, and regulators fear the risk it poses to the broader financial system.
- The SEC extended a temporary exemption from certain requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 for security-based swaps. The commission said that the exemption is necessary “to avoid any potential market disruption” as it finishes its derivatives rules required by the Dodd-Frank Act.