- This webinar provided an overview of the current employee benefit plan marketplace.
- Organizations should carefully evaluate their cybersecurity disclosure obligations now; SEC guidance focuses on preparing disclosures about cybersecurity risks and incidents.
- New guidance released by the AICPA on System and Organization Controls SOC (SOC) 2® reports enhances important roles of the reporting framework, and consolidates the various reporting and criteria updates.
- The SEC’s Investor Advisory Committee recommended that the commission set strict disclosure requirements for companies with multiclass share structures. Investors and other critics worry that the multiclass structures make it difficult to hold companies accountable for ignoring investor objectives. Between 2005 and 2015, the number of companies with multiclass structures increased by 44 percent, and the growth has added to investor concerns.
- The SEC is considering updating its valuation guidance for investment companies to better reflect the current market. Two interpretive releases the SEC published in 1969 and 1970 were issued years before the accounting guidance for fair value measurements was released and the financial markets became so reliant upon estimates for valuing financial instruments.